Race fast - cook slow - Enjoy life
The following recipe can be used for almost any type of poultry from Cornish Game Hens through Chicken, and on to Turkey. The Flying High Poultry Seasoning has a bit, but not too much heat so don’t overuse it because it can overpower the flavor of the meat.
- Whole Birds
- 4 Tablespoons Butter (unsalted is preferred but not required)
- Stockcar BBQ Flying High Poultry Seasoning
- Roasting Pan with a rack strong enough to hold the birds.
- A piece of aluminum foil folded into a triangle that is large enough to cover the breast of the bird.This is not required for smaller poultry like game hens.
- Digital cooking thermometer, Analog meat thermometer, or Instant read thermometer (I really prefer a digital cooking thermometer with a probe and an alarm so that I don’t miss when the roast reaches temperature.)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Combine the butter with 2 tablespoons of Flying High Poultry Seasoning and set aside.You may need either more or less compound butter depending on the size of the bird.
- Remove the neck and giblets from the bird and rinse both the outside and inside of the bird.Pat dry with a paper towel.
- Form the foil over the breast of the bird and set aside.Yes, this is now contaminated so you don’t want it to touch anything else.You’ll see the reason for this early forming later on and yes, it’s worth it.
- Slide your fingers under the skin of the breast to loosen it and spread the compound butter evenly under the skin.
- Season both the cavity and skin with light to medium coating of Flying High Poultry Seasoning, tuck the wing tips under the bird and truss the legs.
- Roast the bird until the internal temperature of the breast reaches 150 degrees then put the pre-formed foil over the breast.I you hadn’t pre-formed the foil you would need to form it on a hot bird.What this does is slow down the cooking of the white meat while allowing the dark meat come up to temperature.
- Continue roasting until the internal temperature of the thigh reaches 180 degrees.
- Remove from the oven, remove the foil on the breast, unfold the foil and lay over the bird lightly, and allow to rest for at least 10 to 20 minutes depending on the size of your poultry.